Sunday, March 4, 2012

Blog post 6

Randy Pausch Last Lecture: Achieving Your Childhood Dreams



Randy Pausch was a professor of computer science and human computer interaction, and design at Carnegie Mellon University in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. Pausch gave his last lecture about Achieving your childhood dreams just a year before he past away from pancreatic cancer in 2008. He started off with the things he didn't want to talk about which were his cancer, his wife and kids, and his religion and spirituality. The things he did talk about were his childhood dreams, enabling the dreams of others, and lessons learned: how you can achieve your dreams or enable the dreams of others.
Mr. Pausch was very entergetic and upbeat throughout the entire video. This video was very inspiring to me as future teacher. I really enjoyed his story about his football coach, Coach Graham. Coach Graham taught him the importance of fundamentals. That you have to get the fundamentals down in order for everything else you want to be possible.  He has a lot of inspiring quotes but the one he put the most emphasis on was the one about "Brick Walls". "Brick walls are there for a reason. They let us prove how badly we want something. The brick walls are there to stop the people who do not want them badly enough. They keep all the other people out." Whatever it is that is in the way, as long as you truly want it, you can achieve dreams and reach your goals. Pausch talks about how sometimes you have to take a different roads to get to your dreams but they are always reachable if you want it bad enough. He also said that "experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted." I really like this quote, it reminds me that you always have to be willing to keep working. If you hit a brick wall, then don't give up...keep trying. 
Randy Pausch taught me new ways of learning, and that I can achieve my dreams no matter what I encounter. I like that he said you should always try to be good at something so it makes you valuable. I believe he is an amazing teacher and individual. I want to be a dedicated teacher and hopefully motivate my future students.

2 comments:

  1. I really liked your post. I thought though that it was hard to understand your thoughts in some places. I think you should try proof reading your work or if you did maybe get someone else to read it. That is what I am going to have to start doing. Good luck!
    Ash

    ReplyDelete
  2. You kept it short. More detail on the specifics of Dr. Pausch's views on teaching would have greatly improved your post.

    The reason we include this video is to inspire you to bust through those brick walls, to raise the bars, to execute effective head fakes and much more. I hope you will do these things when you are a teacher.

    Keep on learning!

    ReplyDelete