Sunday, April 22, 2012

Creativity and Curiosity: My Thoughts - Special Post #12A

monkeypic
In my opinion schools in the United States destroy the development of curiosity and creativity in students. The education system is driven by standardized tests. There is no need for curiosity in order to score well on  a standardized test. Teachers stress over the material they have to cover in order for their students to do well on these tests because low test scores reflect badly on the teacher, the school, and the school system.Students are being shoved information required to pass these tests, and there is not much time for teachers to teach anything else. Art or other elective classes are not viewed as being important. I think if we started putting more emphasis on art, music and other electives in our schools curriculum this would give students an opportunity to explore their creative side. It is important for teachers to provide maximum opportunities to develop a student’s creativity and curiosity.A teacher has to show that he or she is just as enthused about their students' creative side just as the students are. We must let our students know that we are here for them and that we will help them achieve all their goals. Teachers must be willing to look at the curriculum and come up with new ideas to enhance the curriculum to get their students motivated to want to learn! I think I have grown so much this semester because of this class. EDM 310 has made me curious about technology, and how many wonderful ways it can be incorporated into classrooms.  The people and programs I have learned about have sparked my curiosity and creativity far past the level I started with this semester. As a teacher I know I will  have to find out what interest the students and then modify the lessons so they are more meaningful so the students will remember them and want to find out more.

1 comment:

  1. We need depend entirely on the arts (or technology) to create opportunities for creativity and curiosity to develop.

    Stirring up interest is certainly important.

    ReplyDelete